20090620

Contributors to Shifting Perceptions

*
*
All of the work (and believe me, it is work) presented here is the property of the individual artists. All of their rights are reserved. So, no lifting without permission. Contact information can probably be found on the contributors' pages. If not, check with me to contact anyone whose work you wish to use: libramoon42@mindspring.com





Vincent G. Madrid

As a young boy, I always had visions. Visions of what seemed at the time to be simple flights of fancy… The usual fantasy world of demons and wizards and flying horses…
My father used to take me to the park and set up an easel and do still life paintings while I played on the swings. I never really paid attention to what he was doing at the time, but that simple act was to have a huge impact on me in the future…
I grew up in a suburb of Los Angeles where I attended Catholic school for 9 years where the theatricality of the rituals, ornate décor and candles with stained glass windows all provided more fodder for my imagination… As soon as I graduated high school I decided to become a musician in a band… At the age of 21 I moved to London, England to find my fortune as a singer in a band… I worked with 2 producers there and procured an agent… But after only a year there, I got homesick and came back to L.A. before anything could come of it… I immediately put together a band here in Pasadena and had some success here in the L.A. area… However, after 10 years of weaving the images in my head into lyrics for songs I had this overwhelming desire to pick up a paint brush and start putting the images on wood and canvas… I immediately found my ‘voice’ and, to my surprise, it wasn’t in my voice!!! The visual medium is where my particular insights find their best expression… So now I’ve spent the last 10 years teaching myself how to paint and actually held a job as a paint instructor at a small art school in Monrovia for a bit, until I realized that teaching requires more patience than I’ve got... And I can’t help but remember the times in the park where my dad would paint for hours while I played and how prophetic that seems to have proven…

my web site is
http://www.vincentmadrid.com/ and my email is tiberiuswcov@aol.com




Daniel B. Holeman

http://www.AwakenVisions.com




Laurie Corzett/libramoon

seeking outlet for those crazy thoughtstreams, is always moving into new (or resurrected) projects, including Emerging Visions, visionary art ezine, Seers and Seekers Yahoo Group; The Healing Dance Network Yahoo Group; Visionary Arts and Minds Tribe; anthologies of her writings; an experimental metafiction, working title: Something Sacred http://caelastory.blogspot.com/; a (envisioned as) graphic novel (anyone want to do the graphics?), Acts of Desolation: http://www.gather.com/aod, as well as her Utopian Flash Fiction Project: series of flash fiction pieces around a federation of diverse villages each working out their methods of community life -- little dramatic impacts illustrating creative solutions to social problems: http://tribes.tribe.net/uff.

check out my book: Words from the Sky: http://www.lulu.com/libramoon ; then, there's lunar ramblings http://lunaramble.blogspot.com
email: libramoon42@mindspring.com

I dedicate "In the Garden" to Peggy Chestnutt ~ may your spirit dance in eternal bliss




Gaia Orion

Artist Statement:
"Sacred and ancient forms of art from various cultures throughout history have always fascinated me. With beauty in their simplicity, their strong lines, vivid colours, and images transcend time, though feel like 'they have always been here.' To me these images have the same power as the beauty we find in nature. The more connected we are with our own true nature and the natural world the greater harmony we feel. This understanding presents many challenges and life lessons! It is here that I find my main source of inspiration: in being sensitive to body, mind and spirit in the quest to understand life. The gift of artistic expression allows me to explore my own personal healing and spiritual themes and to further share these natural, symbolic and archetypal images with other individuals and connect with the world at large."

Gaia explores healing and spiritual art themes that manifest in symbolic and archetypal images in her artwork. These images arise from her quest to understand life and her interest in ancient and sacred art.

With her creativity she has found her way of sharing with the world and connecting deeply with people.

Focusing on living a simple and healthy life allows Gaia the time and space to be sensitive and express the inspiration that arises.

Gaia originally hails from Paris, France, where she studied and graduated with honour as an architect from Ecole des Beaux Arts in 1997. Gaia, along with her husband and three young children, reside north of Toronto (Ontario, Canada) by a river in the bush!


Our Journey
Watercolour and Gouache Painting 22”x22”

When I was a kid there was an old lithography at my grandparent’s castle in the washroom. It was about life and its different stages. Steps were going up to the age of 50 - Age Of Maturity it said – and then the steps were going down to the Age Of Decay (90 years old). A couple was shown on the steps at various stages of their life cycle and at the end the old couple, at 100 year old were lying in bed in the Age of Infancy and Imbecility! A Last Judgment picture was right in the center depicting in detail heaven and hell with details … Looking at this picture growing up was amusing but also daunting. I thought that there must be a different way to see this life journey.

Today I see life as seasons passing and returning. There are stages of maturity and gaining wisdom along the way; though a 100 year old can feel like a child at heart and the natural wisdom of a child is pure and powerful like the old sage. The natural slowing down of the body as we age gives us opportunity to slow down in our activities and have more time for reflection. Just like winter is telling us to rest and look inward every year. When one lives in tune with nature life is a cycle following the seasons.

Where does it really start? When does it end? When the caterpillar ‘dies’, it has no idea that it is initiating the birth of a beautiful butterfly.

“I Have A Dream’’
Acrylic Painting 36”x36”

This tree mandala was inspired by Barak Obama when I stayed up late to listen to his speech on election night. Seeing this man triumph - the personal, social, and political challenges he overcame and what it represented historically - brought much hope. His integrity is like the bright sun leading us toward a flourishing society

This event shows that things can change very quickly… and that we all have the opportunity to build a caring society.


http://www.artbygaia.com/ gaia@artbygaia.com




Qahira Lynn

Visionary spiritual artist, is a mystic muralist of
the dreamtime.
Her images evoke magic…spiraling and emerging through the sacred
symbology of the divine source, the great mother, the One...and a
passion for reaching into essence to what is deeper than words, making
pictures of what is beneath the surface, behind the veil, healing what
arises from the depths of the world soul, activating the powers of
intention, creating magic and revealing transcendence.

“When doing a mural (or any other artwork) for another person -
especially in their private space – it is my intention to become a
conduit for that person’s vision, feeling an essence to come through.
My dream is to travel the world painting murals and creating other art
pieces, I have much to learn from other places and cultures.”

Contact:
www.qahiralynn.com




Terra Wolfe

What I love about poetry is that it lets you step outside of the situation and see what is happening in a whole new way. It lets you involve the senses and the emotions and use them as a painter would color and light and shadow. It's the words that do this and they do it by bringing along all of the reader's connotations. So it would be different for every reader to see the same words.

I spent quite awhile studying this; I had some wonderful teachers who showed me new things about words. My background in graphic design helped a lot visually. But like all art, poetry gives one that new perspective.

More recently, my journey into the spiritual and the pagan ceremonies has led me to see how life can be a sacred ceremony.

And then there are the words. Like paint to an artist. You can really mess with them. Messing with the media can give us lovely results.


http://terrawolfe.com/




Adan Del Bosque

I hope you enjoy my visionary art.




Ken Shapley

My work is best described as a digital photography exploration into the hidden forces of nature as revealed through mirror imaging. The Chinese word “Li” best describes what I love to photograph and weave into story. Li is “a blend of the interaction of the invisible “Chi “ or life force pushing through the dynamic growth structures of form to produce the evolving patterns in the visible world.”

My mirror image photography reveals the faerie like hidden worlds within the patterns in nature. There is an ancient voice hidden in the stones, an archetypal totemic edge to the clouds. Light tricks us in glances of particles and waves, only showing us half the story at any one time. My photographic style reveals the world in a whole new way. When we see the world anew our reverence for it expands and we are moved to create a more harmonious relationship to our environment. I am simply amazed by the beauty of the world, from micro to macro, and wish to share it through my photography. I am currently exploring printing onto a variety of silks to create wearable art and 3D ways of sharing my unique images.

The next stage in my adventure is to meet a great marketting person to work with and get the images out there in the world.


The Joy of Melting is a Giclee print on 300g acid free paper available in A4 or A3

The Sentinal of Edinburgh Craigs is a simple mirror image of 340 million year old rock, so tell me Mr Darwin why do the forces of nature conspire to produce such half seen beings in the rock?

The poem describes my world.


I have an exhibition waiting to show and 200 gigs of images to work with. Commissions undertaken.

see
www.mirrorcoolimages.com for more




William C. Burns, Jr.

Quixotic as ever

may you learn from every conflict
and may all your transitions be upward . . .





Zsuzsa Mathe

Just as Renaissance was the art of Realism, Transrealism (meaning "beyond what is real”) shows the actuality beyond the physical reality. Attila Jozsef, a great Hungarian poet who inspired Transrealism wrote in his poem, Welcome to Thomas Mann (1937)

"... You know this well: the poet never lies,
The real is not enough; through its disguise
Tell us the truth which fills the mind with light
Because, without each other, all is night. …”

I want to show the “truth” not the physical reality. There exist more “faithful” media to accomplish that.

In Transrealism, style can not be binding to express the essential reality. Hence comes the mixing of styles, even within the same one artwork, for a style in itself has a force of expression and serves as a tool of communication.

Man must be addressed so as to communicate to one; and to gain one’s willingness to listen to the message one needs aesthetics. There is no shadow without light and no light without a shadow. Here aesthetics is light and shadow is the lack of such. Aesthetics can not be exiled but our message can not be flooded with it either, because if a piece of art does not include both “light” and “shadow” then the potential in life fades away and the message becomes shallow.

The task of today’s fine art is to take in and integrate today’s world with all of its elements. That cell phones, advertisements, satellite internet and many other things are part of today’s world is a well-known and accomplished fact. There is no point in protesting against it, turning it into a manifesto or “calling it into one’s attention” – we have known it for a long time.

Today, at the beginning of the 21st century this is our life, not less than man of old times had his own surrounding life that was than captured as natural. This, today’s world must be communicated not with the art of protest but with the tools of art in harmony with life, to man in a quality and level that was done by the classical masters of fine art in their time. If not with the same tools, but no less immortal, it must be given about today’s life.

Biography, Zsuzsa Mathe

She was two years old when her father, returning from a business trip in Switzerland, brought her a ballpoint pen as a present. Ballpoint is a tool that can not be erased and thus one must be able to draw a line right the first time over. Thus her education in fine art began.

At primary school she attended high-school drawing classes and art history. She was advised on various subjects such as anatomy and the likes.

At high school she attended the prestigious Ferenczy Circle, a highly esteemed class on drawing and modeling for the nearby Academy of Fine Arts.

After graduating high school she attended and graduated a special collage on print shop work, thus learning the basics of additive and subtractive coloring and all other details that makes one a fine print-shop retoucher.

She was 20 when, in 1984, her first exhibit, The Gate Between Within and Beyond opened.

At the same time she got involved in Duna Circle, an alternative environmental protection group opposing a water-dam over the river Danube. This, later earned her a high spot on the blacklists of then still Communist Hungary.

Despite being blacklisted, and secret agents were regular visitors, the following years each brought feature exhibits: Withdrawn Promises (1985), Le Malade Imaginaire (1987), Shipwreck (1987) and a joint exhibit with the master course of world-known concert pianist George Cziffra.

As her mail was torn, telephone eavesdropped and conditions became unbearable to express her disagreement with the regime, she left Hungary in early 1988.

Having learned the local language in 1990 she was accepted to the world-famous Bezalel Academy of Art and Design.

Today, after adventuring around the world trying herself in various fields and professions, she is back in Hungary, painting again.

webpage:

http://picasaweb.google.com/sedah9/PaintingsByZsuzsaMathe




Kala Snowflower

Pure Joy is the title of a recent book of my poems and this best describes the state of being I have been living in as I explore a life of close community living, open hearted loving and getting in stronger touch with the core of my strength, my beauty and my compassion. I am a Reiki teacher and practitioner and find that my work as a healer and poet flow from the same source and inform one another to create a strong and flowing practice of staying in touch with my feelings, the feelings of others and the energy of the earth, sky and cosmos. I am currently working on three new books of poems and a book of prose poems. I feel my creativity flowing strong and sure these days. I am so grateful to be able to continue and deepen my understanding of life and love through my Art and artful living. You can reach me at kala@happyvalleyreiki.com.




Dalton

"After my time on the internet, I consider myself to be among the upper percentile of all expression. Underestimating myself is a thing of the past. Enjoy this story, this e-zine. I can produce a short story or an article for any publication. Paid or unpaid. My Dad put me through writing school."
Dalton can be reached at Jay.Dee66@yahoo.com




Keith Alan Hamilton

"I'm a mystic individualist, who is a psychic thinker, a Nature-itarian and
a wannabe writer/poet; who obscurely and artistically expresses through
words of thought, intelligently progressive and transitionally perceptive
insights; apparently all this is directly related to the effect of My
Abnormalities Normality upon me, with its empathic sensitivity."


Read more about me at http://www.keithalanhamilton.com/

My email is kah@keithalanhamilton.com




Flora S. Bowley

Statement:

It is my desire to honor and celebrate the natural world by creating timeless and magical new “landscapes,” rich with color, soul and imagination. My paintings are created through many layers of intuitive mark-making, bold experimentations with color and careful rendering of organic forms. These “characters”: wings, sprouts, hives, branches, petals and pods, morph into semi-abstract forms and co-mingle with color fields to create new places born from the painting process. I leave “windows” into otherwise covered layers of paint to draw the viewer deeper into the landscapes, while etching, dripping, stamping and “dotting” enliven the forms and highlight their connectivity to each other.

Ultimately, I find purpose in the very act of observation, relating forms and colors to each other, and allowing new stories to unfold before me. My finished paintings are not meant to be conclusive; rather they are a celebration of the present moment, chaotic, subtle, and beautiful, mystical and ever-changing.

Bio:

Flora S. Bowley is an emerging Northwest painter known for her playful and continually revealing compositions of semi-abstract forms, as well as her vibrant and unpredictable use of color. Bowley lives and works full time as a painter in Portland, OR, where she is surrounded by beautiful gardens, magical forests, constantly changing seasons, and a multitude of tiny living things. Other sources of inspiration come from traveling the world, dance, yoga, Burning Man, and connecting with other creative souls. Bowley’s work is represented by numerous galleries across the United States. Currently, Bowley is working on a large-scale commission for the prestigious Escala Building in downtown Seattle.

Website:
www.florasbowley.com




Gabe Marquez

The artwork of Gabe Marquez stems from a fascination for the other-wordly creatures and objects within his imagination. The architecture of these creatures is deeply rooted in symbology and color. External influences include astronomy, nature, sci-fi movies, design, architecture and literature.

http://www.gabemarquez.com/




Robert David Michael Cerello

was born in Glen Cove, Long Island, New York, and presently divides time between San Diego, CA, USA and Europe. He is an Objectivist philosopher and author. He graduated from Sayville High School, Pomona College, Laverne University's Teacher's program and holds an MA from the University of Virginia and an ESL certificate from S.D.S.U. He has written plays, novels, short stories, songs, screenplays, criticism, non-fiction, verse and poetry for forty years. He aspires to be a scientist of the arts and is well-known as a lecturer, actor, singer and teacher.




David Harrington

I currently reside in Portland, Oregon with my wife Dawn and two sons. I have lived here for nearly twenty years now, but am originally from the East Coast.

The piece here is from my collection of short, spiritually-charged allegories written over a twenty year period. These stories are rich with symbolism and strong characterization, but are both figurative and literal.

email:
david7945harr@yahoo.com





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?